Electrical problems

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical problems
From: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:16:57 -0500
Happy Holidays List!
    I'm having some electrical problems. Now what I need is the 'Dan
Master's repair manual for the TR4/A' ;-)      I thought that I would
check out the electrical column switches before I take it in for the
inspection from the last millennium. :-D  Yes, It's been that long since
I've driven my TR legally. So I tried the Head Lamps/Parking Lamps
set-up. All works well. :-)  Ok, then I tried the directional
indicators. The left side all light up, but it skips a beat. It uses a 3
count. Ex- 123, 123... Where 1 is on, & where 2&3 counts are off.
There's a 3 beat sound coming from the Flasher Fuse. So I then tried the
right side. This has a 4 beat count, where #'s 1&3 are on & #'s2&4 are
off, But NO SOUND from the Flasher Fuse. I also noticed that the green
dash signal light wasn't  working. So I gave it a little tap to have it
go on, [Thinking the bulb being out would 'weaken' the circuit.] Once it
lit up, I repeated the testing.  Same thing happened, as before, with
the bulbs working as All the other lamps were, before & sound out of the
Flasher Fuse. I then switched to the right side to have the same thing
happening. ONLY the green light worked, then stopped, & repeater
working, then would stop working for a second & worked the rest of the
time. The stop working part was Not rhythmic & only happened 2 times on
the right side with NO sound coming from the flasher fuse.
    I recalled a pass thread about 'Four way Flashers' fuse messing up,
but I don't have any Four Way flashers. The Flasher Fuse is silver & has
on it: LUCAS Flasher, FL5 12V42W, made in England,   [a symbol of 'Y'
inside a circle] 35011A  6 65, DO NOT DROP    The 3 male ends all  run
Perpendicular to each other With the left marked '8', the top marked
'T', & the right marked 'L', & the blank side has a large 'W'. The other
end has 3 little dimples sticking out to correspond to the 3 male ends.
    Question: What do you think the problem is of why the directional
signals aren't working the same?
-Cosmo Kramer