RE: starter replacement and wheels

To: "Jesse Bregman" <jbregman@mac.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter replacement and wheels
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 05:37:01 -0800
> These are two separate questions for my '59 TR3.
> 1. I have been advised to replace my rather weak original starter with
> a modern high torque starter by a couple of folks who have already done
> this. I know these are sold by the big 3, but I understand they are
> just a Toyota (?) part.  So, does anyone know what the part # is and
> whether I can just buy one at my local parts store?

The starter itself may be a Toyota part, but the pinion gear on the starter
is an application-specific part, not available separately AFAIK.  I suspect
the mounting plate is, too.  Note that there were two different
starter/flywheel combinations used on TR3s during 1959; you'll have to
figure out which one you have and buy the starter that matches your
flywheel.  I believe the earlier flywheel takes a 9 tooth pinion, the later
one takes a 10 tooth.  There are also some wiring changes required, my
suggestion is to keep the original solenoid and use it to control the
solenoid in the new starter.

> 2. I need to replace my wire wheels, and understand that the Drayton
> wheels are better than the Dunlop wheels.

I think Dunlop is getting a bad rap, due to some inferior wheels they made
some years ago.  That said, I bought Daytons for my Stag (which so far seem
to work very well).

>  Also, I have read that the
> 60 spoke wheels are the ones to get.  As these are a half inch wider
> than the 40 spoke wheels, I was wondering if there are any problems
> with them hitting the fenders.

The wheels come nowhere near the fenders.  The tires will clear, as long as
you don't go overboard on tire size (BTDT, 205/55 is definitely overboard
<g>).  However, the 60 spoke wire wheels will likely not go in the spare
tire compartment even with skinny 165 tires mounted on them.

>  I noticed that Moss Motors said they
> are fine for earlier cars.  And last, where is the best place to buy
> them.

I've no idea, but I bought my Stag wheels through Valley Wire Wheel in Van
Nuys, CA (I think that's where it was, they moved from N. Hollywood).

Note that you should seriously consider replacing the splined adapters too.
If they are the least bit worn, the wheels will quickly wear to match them;
and worn-out splines generally make the wheels not worth rebuilding.

Randall