Re: Thanks for the help and a follow-up question. RE: Stuck float v

To: Aric Datesman <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: Thanks for the help and a follow-up question. RE: Stuck float valve? (TR3)
From: Bob labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:00:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Aric Datesman wrote:
> Thanks for the advice everyone.
>
> When rapping the float bowl with a screwdriver handle didn't work this
> afternoon, I cracked it open.  Much to my surprise, it seems that the car is
> already equipped with Grose Jets.  At least, although I neither know what
> the needle valve nor Grose Jet look like, from the descriptions I've seen
> involving ball bearings I assume that Grose Jets are what's in there.  Since
> that looked to be functioning properly I went ahead and removed the bowl
> completely to check the float and to see how much gunk is in the bottom of
> the bowl.  (Lots of gunk, so the other bowl came apart as well for a
> cleaning.)
>
> I assume the rear float shouldn't be half filled with gas?  ;-)
>
> What's the preferred method of emptying it?  Place it in a pot of boiling
> water and pray there's no explosion?  Drill a hole, shake it out and solder
> it shut?  Outright replacement?  I can't seem to recall what was decided
> last time this question came up.
>
> Fortunately the front float is fine.  Only the back one has a problem.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -aric.

Aric,

I would bet outright replacement! You should be able to get a good one
from Triumphs Only. Check out their web site at
http://www.triumphsonly.com. They have tons of nos and stuff they get
from parts cars etc. If you still cant locate what you need just ask and
I am sure someone has a spare they will sell/trade.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird