Sparkplug Wires and Distributor Sequence

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sparkplug Wires and Distributor Sequence
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:47:28 EDT
All,

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions on plug wires.  Now we have a
mystery.

Ibve just discovered something perplexing regarding my plug wiring. If you
look at my distributor cap from the driverbs side of the car, the plug leads
coming from the distributor connect as follows: the upper left wire goes to
cylinder 3 (counting back from the front of the car), the upper right wire
goes to
cylinder 1, the lower left wire goes to cylinder 4, and the lower right wire
goes to cylinder 2.

In all the photos Ibve collected online showing engine views, the wiring is
different: the upper left wire goes to cylinder 1 (counting back from the
front
of the car), the upper right wire goes to cylinder 2, the lower left wire
goes to cylinder 3, and the lower right wire goes to cylinder 4. How can it be
that my cap is wired differently to the cylinders? The firing order would
still
appear to be the same, but the points in the distributor cap at which the
cylinders fire appears to be off from everyone else by 90 degrees.

The car seems to be running fine. Any idea whatbs up? If it would help, I
can
e-mail you a pic of the distributor wiring as it appears my car.

Many thanks,

Bill Stagg
1961 TR3A