Re: TRA

To: Rikrock@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TRA
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:54:09 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/03 11:35:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Rikrock@aol.com
writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm told that list member Darrell Floyd won best of show with his TR4.
>
> Congratulations to Darrell and Bev !!
>
> See ya at TRF/VTR
>
> Rich Rock
> Pottstown, PA

Listers,
My friend TriumphBob, Bev and I had a blast at the TRA National Meeting this
year.  Even though it rained thru most of Ohio on the way there the cars ran
good and as soon as we crossed the Indiana Line the sun came out and stayed out
for the whole event.  Lou and the fine Triumph people of COCTRA put on a
first class event which was a great success with at least 99 Triumphs and 1
Cushman motorbike in attendance. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves
thoroughly.

However, I too never want to look at a propane tank or a lawn art bulb again
but Bob and I ran the 73 mile rally top down which made it all worthwhile.
The TR4 is usually a good rally car but on this one it sucked. My bad since I
sat for a time in the navigators seat while Bob drove and Bev went shopping. I
totally blew it and gained a greater appreciation of the job my regular Ace
Navigator Bev does.  Thanks to Brett Johnson for setting it up.  I know from
personal experience that rallies are a lot of work and I am sure that Brett
would
have preferred to be racing at Mid Ohio.

I really had low expectations for the Concours this year since I knew the
competition would be fierce.  Both the TR3B and the TR4 have been judged
several
times at TRA.  I guess that is an advantage because I have had a chance to
review my scoresheets and fix the items that I can to earn a few more points
each
time.  Lou's Ice Blue TR2 and Alex's White TR4 are very correct, fine
examples of original Triumphs which I certainly respected as formidable
competition.
There was also a new Signal Red Hardtop TR3A from Rhode Island with only
23,000 miles on the clock that was very original right down to the Michelin X
155
tires that had everyone scared. Afterwards I was told that my margin of
victory was razor thin so I did not win over my close friends by a lot. Still,
it is
great to have the first TR4 to ever win BOS at TRA and after twelve years of
competing I will certainly accept my first TRA BOS with a big smile on my
face.

The real star of the show was TS1LO.  Joe Richards did an outstanding job of
restoring and presenting this historic Triumph Roadster that started it all.
What is really impressive is that Joe accomplished this through extensive
research and with his own hands. It is very correctly and perfectly done. I
certainly hope that those of you who missed the chance to see this car will
have an
opportunity in the future to see it and listen to Joe tell of it's story. I am
humbled in it's presence.

The drive home after the meet was very pleasant.  The cars ran good, the
weather was sunny and we smashed a whole bunch of bugs.

Cheers,
Darrell
62 TR4  CT 5521 LO    CKD - Dispatched to Belgium
63 TR3B  TCF 2645 L