RE: RE: Ign advance and cam phasing for TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RE: Ign advance and cam phasing for TR4
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:55:51 -0700 FILETIME=[F719BD40:01C33CCC]
> Based on what you are saying maybe I want to go in the other
> direction.  Start out by testing what the total advance should be
> for max acceleration without pinking, keep backing down the idle
> advance until there is no pinking through the advance curve, and
> thereby "back into" the optimum idle advance setting?

Yeah, something like that anyway.  The ultimate method of course would be
dyno runs, trying different amounts of total advance at different rpms and
then drawing a line through the best values to duplicate as an advance
curve.  But that method gets real expensive, real fast, and probably isn't a
whole lot better than the "seat of the pants" approach.

However, as I said before, I'd go a little conservative on total advance.
I've got several TR3 pistons in the garage, with the ring lands broken off,
as reminders of what happens when it knocks at high rpm and you don't hear
it ...

Randall