RE: generator bracket noise

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: generator bracket noise
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:03:16 -0700 FILETIME=[A3F2E110:01C352CE]
>   I am new to this list and I just recently got a 59 TR3A
> (TS57???).

Hey, Joe, welcome to the list !  And congratulations on your choice of
Triumph.

>  Drives ok
> and looks ok from a distance, but needs work (like the suspension
> replaced).

Just let us know when you're ready, we'll give you more advice than you can
stand.

> Anyway, at idle, there was squeking noise coming from the engine
> and I found
> the problem to be the generator shaking.  The bolts seem to be
> tight.  It this
> common and is there a fix?

It's fairly common, but the fix is to find what's damaged and replace it.
Chances are, if you remove the generator, it will become obvious.

The threads in the front mount sometimes get stripped out and the mount has
to be replaced (P/N 59015, $6.95 @ TRF).  One amusing DPO (derned previous
owner) stunt I've seen is to replace the front lower bolt with a longer one,
that reaches the undamaged threads inside the mount, but pulls up against
the bottom of the hole rather than against the generator's front bracket.
On the car I saw, this had been allowed to persist until the generator
bracket/housing broke.

If memory serves there are Nyloc nuts on the generator mounts, that should
be replaced every time.  If absolute originality isn't important to you, you
might consider using metal-on-metal "prevailing torque" nuts, available from
McMaster-Carr and elsewhere.  These don't have to be replaced nearly as
often (several hundred operations) but when they do, you have to replace the
bolt as well.  They also stand up to heat better.

Randall
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver