Re: Unique Aftermarket bodywork

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unique Aftermarket bodywork
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:12:42 +0100
I've accidentally deleted some posts, so can't recall who posed the question
on Lenham.
It's quite true they were probably better known for fibreglass bonnets and
hardtops for Spridgets but they made them for Spitfires as well - and for
quite a long time.
Speaking personally, I never liked them but beauty is in the eye of the
beholder. I have many memories of Spitfires wearing the fastback top and
frankly it looked a mess. Because of the Spits somewhat 'variable' body
dimensions between breakfast and tea, getting a Lenham top to stay in the same
place and not leak proved virtually impossible. Even when new, they were tatty
to look at, leaked badly and crazed very quickly. We had many cars fitted with
them coming to the London Service Division in Lenham apparel. The time
eventually came when we politely declined to even have them on the premises if
the cause of the visit was a water leak via the roof, gutters or body joins.
I recall one almost terminal Spitfire fitted with a Lenham top to which the
owner had fitted two inverted grab handles off a Sprite on either side of the
passenger's head. They weren't there to aid comfort under heavy cornering -
but to hold the roof down at speed.
IMHO, a signally unimpressive accessory. The works hardtop was much better and
on a Mk 1 to Mk 3 was more than strong enough to hold a car upside down -
especially if it assumed such a posture rather quickly. Don't ask how I know
this but suffice it to say 'her' father was less than happy!

Jonmac