RE: TR4 Stock AC pump rebuild kit problems

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Stock AC pump rebuild kit problems
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:00:18 -0800
> How many of you have rebuilt your mechanical AC pumps to have them fail
> again within a year or so?

I've had one fail in just a few months, but the failure was that the NORS
diaphragm I used would not stand up to CA's reformulated gasoline.  Bought a
new rebuild kit from TRF, and it's held up for several years now.

> In my case, it's not the rubber diaphragm that is failing, but rather the
> metal assembly that holds together the rubber diaphram (actually a stack
> os three thin rubber sheets). ... This pressing is
> lostening, allowing fuel to go from the 'wet' fuel pump side of the
> diaphram to pass to the 'dry' mechanical side of the diaphram.

That pretty clearly sounds like a defective component to me, unless perhaps
the metal disc is hitting on something and causing extra force on the pull
rod.

Randall