RE: Gear Oil GL-3/4 Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gear Oil GL-3/4 Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:05:00 -0800
> While at the NAPA auto parts store, I went looking for the
> Sta-Lube gear oil for the TR6 and I noticed that the oild is
> listed as 85w/90. I thought we are suppose to be using 80w/90
> oil?  Does that make a difference? Sorry to bring up an old topic!

Not enough difference to worry about, IMO.  The 'W' weight is basically how
thick it is when the oil is cold, so 85W90 will be slightly thicker cold
than 80W90.  Might possibly make it a bit harder to shift at first if you
drive where it's below freezing (until the oil warms up), but won't harm
anything other than that.

Randall