Re: Stuck parking brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck parking brakes
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:29:06 -0800 (PST)
When I got my 4A, it was very difficult to release the parking brake.
The mechanism at the drums worked fine, but the cables didn't like
to move. I replaced the cables, but that didn't do the trick.

I finally tracked it down to the bent metal bracketry that houses
the handle and holds the cable housings. This becomes weaked over
time and flexes, pinching the inner cable and preventing it from
releasing cleanly.

At least, that was the problem on my car. I made up a plate
from thicker steel and welded it to the outside, between
the original frame and the cable housing - now the parking
brake works as well as it ever did (which, to be honest,
isn't saying a whole lot).

Just another failure mode to look for...