: TR6 - Victoria British quick ratio steering rack

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: : TR6 - Victoria British quick ratio steering rack
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:37:57 EST
Greg,
Got play in your steering wheel (especially straight ahead position)? Are
your rubber rack mounts allowing the horizontal sloppiness? After 200,000 miles
the only wear I found was a few teeth at center of the rack and a tooth or two
on pinion gear were worn thin - creating an inch or more slop at the steering
wheel only in straight ahead driving mode. I couldn't adjust it out. Basically
teeth are hard to repair - so I found a rare new pinion gear, and a very low
mileage rack rod to rectify my unit.
The rack and pinion setup is quite forgiving of wear - but to a limit.
A new quick ratio rack might be great for racing - but its impact on pleasure
sport driving would be .. 'harder' steering! What do you want from your car?
If I did nothing else - I would grease the original unit - new parts are
super rare.
Rebuilts stock units are probably available at TRF for $225 or so.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

...how does one know whether or not their
existing factory steering rack is in need of a rebuild?
Greg Hutmacher
1976 TR6