RE: TR3 OD 3rd-4th gear shift rod

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 OD 3rd-4th gear shift rod
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:01:59 -0800
> I'm rebuilding an OD tranny that I picked up in a bone yard last
> year and I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1. When I disassembled the top cover, I noticed that there is
> some wear where the interlocking balls slide out of the receiver
> pockets in the 3rd-4th gear shift rod.
>
> Do I need a new shaft or can I get a away with it the way it is?

Unless it's really badly worn, I'd guess the shaft is OK.  But I'd worry
about the interlock bore in the cover, which is unfortunately rather hard to
inspect.  My suggestion would be to do a test assembly, and make sure that
with any one shaft (test all 3) in gear, the other two shafts cannot be
moved more than perhaps 1/8" each direction.

Top covers are plentiful, so finding another one in good shape shouldn't be
hard (or expensive) at all.

Be warned that the shift shaft seals being sold by the "big 3" usually don't
fit, and require some sort of packing to make them seal.  They should
compress enough to provide a detectable drag on the shift shaft.

Randall