TR4 muffler?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 muffler?
From: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:07:49 -0800
Okay . . . you wonderful, insighftul folks, I just recently experienced an odd
circumstance.  Drove to Reno, Nevada, 84 miles to visit friends.
Unfortunately, took a wrong turn into the condo complex.  The pavement, had a
bit of a abrupt end, and the tail end of the TR4 appeared to make contact.
Right there after it made loud noises, like no muffler, type, roaring real
loud.  Thought when I hit that little drop, puncture a hole, and my friend
kind of crawled underneath, when I started the TR and spotted some exhaust
smoke.  Leave the TR parked overnight, start it up the next morning to go
home, 84 miles, and its making that roaring noise, especially when  I have to
accelerate up a grade or mountain pass.  About 35 miles on the highway, all of
sudden, the noise stops, and its like its so quiet, thought the TR died, but
kept going on the highway, without noise, and no changes with the guages.
Have not had a chance to crawl underneath, but would appreciate any ideas what
may have happened.  Always, thankful and grateful

Tim Purdy