RE: [triumph_herald] FAO Triumph e-groups: Possible E-bay hoax / fraud a

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Triumph_Vitesse" <triumph_vitesse@yahoogroups.com>, "Triumph Cars" <triumph_cars@yahoogroups.com>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [triumph_herald] FAO Triumph e-groups: Possible E-bay hoax / fraud attempt.
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:00:46 -0800
Andy Ellis wrote :

> Be aware: I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THIS but if you use Ebay....
>
> This morning I received an e-mail apparently from e-bay entitled
> "eBay.com - Account Verification".
>
> This stated that my Ebay information was out of date

Andy, you are absolutely right, this is a scam !  (And not even one of the
better done ones.)

One way to avoid getting ripped off by these : Never, ever, click on the
link supplied in such an email.  If your eBay or PayPal account needs
attention (which they never do; neither of these entities 'verifies'
accounts in this fashion), they'll let you know the next time you try to
access their website.  But use your own link to access the website, as some
of the scammers have very plausible fake websites.

And as Bob has already pointed out, the return address on the email is
easily faked.  The URL (link) inside the email can be faked too; there are
even ways to make it look like it references eBay.com when it does not.

Randall