Re: Jack question?

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Jack question?
From: Bob labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:03:03 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
T. S. White wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have a 1960 TR3A.  I also have a screw type jack that is inserted
> through the floorboard to raise the car for changing flats.  This jack
> has been with the car for forty years that I know of.  Today I noticed
> that the part of the jack that catches the frame is a hook, a triangular
> shaped flange that points up toward the frame.  Where the jack fits in
> guides on the frame there is no corresponding recess for this hook to
> fit into.  Do I have the correct jack for a TR3A?  Thanks.

T.S.

You have the correct jack.

Your frame should have a recess at the point midway in the frame. The
guide is welded to the bottom of the frame and the jack hook fits in the
recess and is prevented from moving forward or backward by the guide.
This recess is on the inside of the frame facing the center. You will
note that the jack hook is solid steel, not a piece of pressed sheet
metal. It needs to be strong to lift 1/2 of the car.

The jack actually works really nice. Jacks up the whole side with a
simple ratchet. If you carry the jack and ratchet in the back seat, you
dont even have to get out of the car to raise the car, but it would not
be a good idea.

I would put the car up on jack stands and check it out. Maybe someone
welded over the recess or maybe it is plugged with crud?

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird T3