Re: Exhaust smell; another thought

To: peb3@cornell.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust smell; another thought
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:02:00 EST
In a message dated 12/18/03 2:33:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peb3@cornell.edu writes:

<< It used to be that you could tell if your car was running right by
 the color of the exhaust tips after a long run. A light grey meant
 everything was OK, while a black soot was indicative of a rich
 mixture. I've haven't been able to get that nice grey in a long time.
 Again, new fuel formula? >>

The grey color of old is lead from leaded fuel, even then it is only a
general indication of rich lean.

Most cars running unleaded will have black tailpipes as a few cold starts
will blacken the pipe.  Most exhaust systems won't get hot enough to burn off
this carbon.

My 1980 Chevy truck 292 st 6 single exhaust, no cat converter,  2 glass packs
inline with the outlet just in front of the rear wheels is a exception.
This system will have a tan / rust tail pipe color when I'm pulling a trailer.
The exhaust is short enough and the engine is working hard enough to have high
exhaust temps.

As for the exhaust smell, does your tailpipe extend past the trunk floor or
just past the bumper?  How about a turndown or turning the exhaust to the side
of the car?

Harold