Nipples and Dogs

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> hBKFHiGx002499
Subject: Nipples and Dogs
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:09:10 -0500
Message text written by "R. Ashford Little II"
>No, not those nipples.  Please help me with a small issue and a larger
one.
>The larger question is that I need to rotate the distributor drive dog or
>spindle assembly to properly position the distributor, but I'm having a
>difficult time grasping the spindle.  I've tried using a cheap slide
hammer
>and pull from Harbor Freight, actually two, but the puller is made of
>aluminum and tends to bend when I try to get a tight grasp.  So how do the
>esteemed list members perform this task?

Are you talking about the drive gear that drives the oil pump and
distributor?  I seem to recall that the hole in the middle is tapped but
maybe I am thinking of another car.  Since the gears are beveled you can
take a screwdriver and turn it in a direction that will cause it to climb
out to the point where you can grab it and pull it the rest of the way.

>I also need a plastic nipple to cover what used to be a vacuum line on the
>carburetor.  Where can I find one of those black rubber nipples

Try your local autoparts counter (start with a NAPA or a similar shop that
deals with professionals, save the Autozone and Car Quest for a last
resort) nor some hardware stores (skip the Lowes and Home Depot) may also
have some.  If you still come up short try www.mcmaster.com

Cheers

Dave