Oil Filter Assembly

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Filter Assembly
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:18:18 -0500
Hello, everyone.

I have read with interest much talk on the list about spin-on oil adapters.
My plans were decidedly in the direction of installing one.

But I've had a thought.  (Probably too much coffee this morning, because I
notice my heart is beating too.)

My research on synthetic oils indicates that they do not absorb moisture and
combustion acids like conventional oils that soak metal components of engines
in a nasty chemical bath.  Too, their perfectly round, equally sized molecular
structures don't break down over time either, at least before a, say, 6 month
oil change interval.  I believe I read BMW has recognized this and kicked up
oil change intervals to about 12 to 18 k miles.

So, the convenience of a spin-on oil filter is reduced to value-added of about
once at the beginning of every driving season in New Hampshire.

However....

The companion to a synthetic oil system has got to be an oil filter like WIC
or one of the other recommended types of your choice, that has a smaller
micron porosity (hope that's a word) to trap smaller grit engine particles,
without, of course, reducing oil flow.

So question:  if I keep my original oil filter assembly for the '59 TR3A, can
anyone recommend a source for the high quality, small micron oil filters like
WIC?  ...Or are these just generally available?  (I could call around myself,
but would like your experience.)

I find I have to add, there is something spartan about the old oil filter
assemblies that is metaphoric of the car itself, and the sense the car adds of
being a part of the earth, not apart from it, in terms of the ride, the
steering, the sound, the smell....  Not so much for originality sake, I think
I'd prefer to keep the oil system as is, unless functionality is impaired.

Thanks.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A