SU vs ZS for TR250 TR6 and Kas

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU vs ZS for TR250 TR6 and Kas
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:42:39 -0500
Do SU's (1.75 HS6 for TR250/TR6 I guess??) have adjustable or fixed
needles/jets? It's hard to tell from my manual.

On page 105 of Kas's book he talks about the ZS as if the needles are
not adjustable:

"The pre-emission ZS had a very nice fuel adjustment nut on the bottom
on the unit. Easy to use and adjust. We tried in various ways to use the
emission type carbs (no adjuster for the mixture) and were not
successful enough in our testing to fit them to the race cars."

Also, I notice that there are not many racing pictures of TR6's in the
book, and the ones that are there are from the early 70's. Should I
assume that the book represents Kas' experiences of the late 60's and
earlier, prior to the adjustable needles on the ZS (B1AF 1970), or is
there something different between the older ZS with the adjustable jet
vs the later ZS with the adjustable needle.

On page 105 Kas describes how to modify SU needles to work in a ZS.
Sounds like an easy solution to the needle availability problem of the
ZS. Is there more to it?

It would seem that a ZS with adjustable needles and with Kas' trick of
using SU needles with the ZS, it would seem to level the playing field
between the SU and ZS. Or is there more to it?

Thanks,

Don Malling