RE: Clutch Woes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Woes
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:56:57 -0800
> The new clutch is a "magic clutch" kit from The Roadster Factory.

Are you talking about RFK1109 ?  My book says it doesn't fit TR4A ...

> The new clutch seems to disengage when the clutch pedal is depressed about
> half way.  But it never fully disengages.  There is always some residual
> pressure on the transmission that prevents me from shifting into
> first gear or
> reverse, while at a dead stop.

Did you replace the pilot bearing ?  Have a hard time getting the trans
lined up with the clutch and flywheel when reinstalling ?  Are the locating
pins still in place ?

As you can probably tell, my thought is that the pilot bearing is dragging,
for whatever reason.

> One thought I have is that the collar on the new driven disk (where the
> splined bit is located) is thicker than the old one, and the
> transmission is
> somehow forcing the driven plate up against the flywheel even when the
> pressure plate is released.  I measured the collar on the old
> driven plate.
> It is about 2 1/8th inches thick.

That doesn't seem right to me, but I don't have a stock 4A clutch handy to
check.

Randall