Powder Coating brake drums

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Powder Coating brake drums
From: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:18:35 -0800
I will add my experience with powder coated brake drums to the collective
wisdom... I have had the rear drums and backing plates on my Marcos 1800 GT
powder coated for a couple of years with excellent results. During the time I
have had the drums powder coated I have run the car in perhaps 4 high speed
"track days" at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, and Infenion racetracks. The powder
coating has shown no signs of "re-melting" or making any adverse changes in
appearance in the "extreme" environment of racing.  The Marcos is quite fast
but the drums are on the rear brakes only. Since most of the braking is done
with the front brakes (as high as 70%) the rear brakes don't get as hot as the
front. I suppose that cars with drum brakes on the front could have a problem
with powder coating since the front brakes would be getting hotter. I don't
think you would have a problem with powder coating the front drums but I would
defer to anyone who has had actual experience in this area.
Mike Denman
1962 TR3
1966 Marcos 1800 GT
1973 TVR