RE: TR3A brakes (was oil pressure/oil pump)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A brakes (was oil pressure/oil pump)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:13:17 -0800
> In a message dated 01/04/2004 9:39:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:
>
> > One unusual thing about the late 10" brakes (I think it is)
> that can cause
> > some unusual symptoms : there is an adjustment for each shoe
> that holds it
> > parallel to the braking surface.  If the adjustment is out, the
> brakes may
> > drag or make a clunking noise after a stop.
> >
> > I haven't actually got into the problem as yet, but I can say
> that it is the
> rear brakes which bind, and driver side at that. The description, "make a
> clunking noise after a stop" hits it right on. If I ride the
> brake to a stop this
> will happen, pumping slightly to a stop, it does not. This became evident
> after I adjusted the brakes over the summer. I was thinking that
> the adjuster is
> somehow the culprit. I have ruled out the emergency brake as a
> possibility. How
> would I know if the braking surface is not parallel (to the
> drum?). Would the
> shoe be worn more to the inside or outside if this is the case?

I'm sorry, Ed, I don't have a good answer to your questions.  It was many
years ago I dealt with my problem, and as I recall, the misalignment was
obvious with the drum off, and I just eyeballed the adjustment.  That car is
long gone, and my current car has been converted to 9" brakes, so I can't
tell you much more.

Randall