Re: Coolant question

To: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant question
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:13:48 -0500
At 10:33 AM +0100 1/7/04, David Brister wrote:
>I seek the advioce of the wise ones on the list, i.e. many, on the question
>of coolant boiling temperatures.
>
>If you pressurise the cooling system to 7lbs/sq" you raise the boiling point
>to what? If you add antifreeze to the coolant you raise the boiling point
>how much? Finally if you do both as most of us do, are these raised
>increments additive and what kind of boiling point F or C would we  find?

A 7 psi cap will raise the boiling point of pure water to 233F. The
addition of antifreeze will also raise the boiling point, but I don't
have the chart for that in a convenient form. (You're welcome to go
to the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics and wade through the
calculations for ebullioscopic constants. *grin*) I think it's
unlikely that the two changes are simply additive in their effect on
overall boiling point, although I would think that the boiling point
of a mixture under pressure would be higher than 233F.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (26 year owner)