TR3A floors and sill replacement

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A floors and sill replacement
From: "Doug ..." <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:05:57 -0800 FILETIME=[846684D0:01C3DBC4]
I am replacing the floors and sills during my frame-up restoration.  The
drivers floor pan has been replaced and lined up with the old sill and body
placement close with one floor hole at the back out 0.3 inches and the front
right mounting bolt hole very close.  The panel bolted through the old sill
and into the outriggers fine.  I have tacked it in place.

Then I removed the inner sill and replaced it with a new one.  When trying
to line up the four frame bolt holes I need to move the sill ahead about 0.3
inches so that the floor, sill and outrigger holes line up.  But according
to my measurements and gut feeling this puts the sill too far ahead and the
back inner fender mount to the sill would be out by this amount.

The tub has been braced across and to the back so there is no movement of
the structure so I guess the matter is that the replacement panel and sill
are not an exact match to my old parts.

So I turn to the expertise of the listers for advice on this situation.  To
those that have done this operation, did you find the replacement parts
don't fit like the original ones and the holes may not line up?

If that is the case, any advice on what to make the correct part and how to
modify the other to it?

What measurments or placement points do you use to guide you in properly
locating the sills (eg. flush with the front bulkhead make rear fender mount
match and move outrigger holes)??

Just another adventure in this restoration.

Thanks again

Doug

1962 TR3B