oil leak

To: "Triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil leak
From: Harold Sawatsky <hsawatsk@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:09:41 -0600
Hi all

Not too long ago there was a thread regarding oil leaking from the
timing chain cover. I have almost completed a frame-up and am going to
reinstall the the motor after a number of years out of the car. The
motor ran perfectly fine when I removed it however after reading the
thread I am going to order the seal and a few other final parts this
weekend. (I keep saying that's all I have to order and still find more
things). I once read about a sleeve that can be inserted over the seal
to stop leaks or is it easier and more efficient to replace the seal.
Also, how much of a job is it to replace the seal??

A second question is about the rings. I turn the engine frequently but
is there a possibility any rings may have seized? Should I use any
special lubrication in the cylinders before a hopefully start the motor.

As always, any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks
Harold (at 56 grew older but never grew up)

56TR3 TS11793 (26 years later and almost running)