Re: Rustfree? i0HHECFG001784

To: <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Rustfree? i0HHECFG001784
From: "Alvin Watkins" <Krssamw@omh.state.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:12:57 -0500
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>>Thanks Terry, thats what I saw too! I'm leaning towards payer higher $$ on a
>better car. But I still shop for bargains since, I'm from N.Y.!
 Thanks again and Happy Motoring.

>>> "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net> 01/17/04 11:14AM >>>
Hi, Alvin.

You're from NY, and the car is from MA, both (like me in NH) from the
snowbelt.  The car may have been garaged, but it has also been driven in
salt, though apparently not overly much or the rocker arms and undercarriage
are not totally thrashed.  Still, it looks like the rear fender wells behind
the tire are rusted through, judging from the last picture.  And there's
some corrosion in the engine bay, though it doesn't look terminal.  It's
hard to say what the rust condition inside the rocker arms is.  Can't advise
you one way or the other on the car.

There are two choices in buying these old cars.  One, you find a project car
that is as complete as you can get and pay the smallest amount with the
understanding you're going to have to strip it completely to the frame and
begin with fresh/rebuilt parts all the way up.  The other is to find a
restored car and pay top dollar, with the understanding that, if you're
patient, you can get a car for less than the restorer has in it in terms of
parts and time.

Buying mid-range, and I'm quoting a lot of people on the list, tends to get
you a couple of years of fun driving, but always with something needing
attention that, over time, nags more and more.

Have fun!

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
'59 TR3A (Off the frame and in pieces, but they're mostly cleaned, brushed,
painted, or replaced.)

> Guys, I'm in the market for a TR7 I saw this on Ebay. I have been a lister
here for several months and I previously owned a TR7 or should I say it
owned me?! ;-) I know most of you here own 2s, 3s,and 4s. But I think you
can help me here. I know what to look for (I think?) and one of the things
is as little rust as possible. I'm looking here and I think I see rust and
certainly not a car that was garage kept most of its life (At least not in
its running, fuel pumping life!) Am I being too critical?

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged
or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your cooperation.