(Rear) Spring Has Sprung

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: (Rear) Spring Has Sprung
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:26:50 EST
Spring has arrived at my garage.  Two of them, in fact.  I just dropped the
rear leaf springs to replace the bushings in my TR3A, and questions arise:

1.    What's a neat way to force the single bushing out of the eye on the
front of each spring?  Can you push/hammer/press on the inner metal sleeve of
the
silent bloc bushing, or must all the force be placed on the outer metal
sleeve?  Will this require 20 tons of presure if rusted?  Is heat an option?

2.    What are the pros and cons of dismantling the leaf springs to clean and
grease them?  Bad idea?  Great way to avoid or relieve squeaks?  Why bother?

3.    What are the tell-tale signs indicating replacement of the link
connecting the shock lever to the spring plate?  The upper "ball joint" on mine
seems
kind of loose.

4.    What kind of "feel" should the lever shocks provide to determine if
they are serviceable?  Should it require considerable effort to move them up
and
down, or just moderate effort?  What kind of oil provides the best balance of
shock action?

Thanks for any tips.

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A, TS64947L