Re: hard steering this morning

To: lstein6@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: hard steering this morning
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:26:15 -0500
In a message dated 1/30/2004 12:25:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lstein6@earthlink.net writes:

> this morning when i took a right turn the steering wheel did not come back as
> normal.  then i noted that it was hard to turn the steering wheel and when i
> did, the wheel stayed in that position (that i turned it to).  this made me
> very nervous.  but after just two blocks it went away and it was normal again.
> when making a turn, if you let the wheel go, it returns to center by itself.
> the car is an 80 tr7 and does not have power steering.  any thoughts?

Many years ago, I had a GT6+ in which the tachometer packed up. I removed it
and had it sent off for rebuilding. In doing so, I was admittedly rather
careless about leaving the drive cable to flop around under the dash.

Several days later, I began to notice that it was becoming ever more difficult
to steer to the right. Got to the point where, to turn right, I actually had to
reverse at full-left lock and then do my best to get that little tiny bit of
steering to the right (literally only a couple of degrees).

Turned out that the loose tach cable had wrapped itself around the steering
column...and was an easy fix.

Hopefully your remedy will be far less embarrassing! :-)

--Andy Mace