British Car Spotted in Iowa Winter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: British Car Spotted in Iowa Winter
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:04:57 -0800
Cc: Michael Balch <mjbalch1@mchsi.com>, John Quilter <jquilter@peoplepc.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net, VTR@autox.team.net
Dear Triumph owners,

This just in from my friend Mike Balch in Iowa - He is asks for any info
that there might be on this particular car. Contact him at:
<mjbalch1@mchsi.com>,

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice Beach, CA
Dear Rick:

On my way way home from work the other night, I made a quick stop at the
supermarket.  The store I use has a wide range of customers - from the
homeless to the very wealthy.  In the parking lot, there is always an
interesting range of cars - from disposable hulks that barely run to
expensive luxury models.  The past couple of weeks in Iowa have been very
cold, and it has snowed nearly every day.  In weather like this, those with
the disposable hulks often leave their cars running and unattended while
they shop.  I suppose they don't want to risk being stranded if their car
won't re-start.  Odds are, no self-respecting auto thief would bother
driving off in most of these cars.

As I crossed the parking lot, I gave a quick look to an empty and running
car.  To my surprise it was a Red Triumph Herald convertible.  The outside
temperature was only around 5 degrees, and the wind was blowing, so I could
only afford to give the car a quick once-over before heading into the
store.  The back plactic window was torn and yellow, but besides that the
car look remarkably good.  No rust, just a handful of door dings.

As I dashed into the store, I decided I should try to see who was driving
the Triumph.  I quickly made my purchase and went back to the parking lot,
but unfortunately the car was gone.  I've been wondering about the car and
its owner ever since.  Was the car still the property of British car fan?
If so why would such an owner venture out on snowy and salted streets,
leaving the car running and unattended?  More likely, I figure the car was
tucked away in some local garage until recently.  Then it was sold cheap to
someone who considers it a disposable car.  I would sure like to have that
little Triumph.  I will be stopping at the supermarket more often now.
Wish me luck!

Michael Balch <mjbalch1@mchsi.com>