Re: balancing; flywheels, CRANK PULLIES!

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>, "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: balancing; flywheels, CRANK PULLIES!
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 09:46:15 -0600
At 11:34 PM 2/7/04, Jeffrey J. Barteet wrote:

>If anyone else on the list has a harmonic pully, would you care to share
>your experience?

I have one on my TR4 vintage race car. I use 6000 as my redline, with an
occasional red mist inspired journey to 6200. All of my friends that
vintage race with me have some sort of harmonic dampener on their engines.
They range from the BFE unit, which is what I have, to machined MGB units,
which a couple of my friends used in order to save some $$$. Many of my
friends wind their engines higher than me, as high as 6700-7000 (some of
them have billet cranks). I don't think any of us would exceed the factory
5000 redline without some kind of dampener. The crank is very whippy with
only 3 main bearings to support it.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58