Flywheel/Clutch installed, crank doesn't turn anymore???

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flywheel/Clutch installed, crank doesn't turn anymore???
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:30:30 -0800
List,

Getting ready to mate the engine to the transmission on my ground-up
restoration of my TR4A.  Engine internals fully installed and buttoned
up, and I've been test-turning the crankshaft via the fan every once in
a while to make sure everything turns and nothing is binding.  However,
once I install the flywheel, driven plate and pressure plate, I can't
turn it anymore (engine just sitting on the ground, no connection to
anything else).  Seems to me like it should act exactly like it did
before, but I can't budge it (actually bent a fan blade trying to turn
it.  The only thing that I can think of is that the flywheel attachment
bolts that I used were too long and are hitting the rear oil seal?  If
anyone else has any ideas, or knows for a fact that at this point it
shouldn't turn (which doesn't make any sense to me, since you can turn
the engine when the transmission is disengaged under normal
circumstances), please let me know.

Thanks as always!

Jeff Tedder
'66 & '67 TR4A