RE: Sand Blast Media

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sand Blast Media
From: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <davis.heglund@honeywell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:03:15 -0600
I use Black Beauty, as well.  It's made from coal slag (probably from power
plants), cheap, and seems to work well.  I believe it is not as aggressive
as regular sand, but is safer because it doesn't generate free silicon dust
to give your lungs "silicosis" or whatever that disease is.  I've blasted an
entire GT6 bonnet without any warpage.  Can be re-used once, maybe twice, if
you're careful not to get too much crap in it.  Gotta keep it dry. Make sure
you have a good water filter on your compressor, another one at
point-of-use. Otherwise, it'll clog up your blast nozzle and lines.  One
drawback:  the finish is a little rough and you'll need to hand-sand it if
the finish is an issue.
Dave H.   '69 GT6 "The Mistress"