oil cooler/vapor lock

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil cooler/vapor lock
From: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:16:21 -0500
My TR6 has been plagued by vapor lock since the engine was rebuilt 3 years
ago.  The car has been driven less than 2000 miles since then.  I have
checked the timing and carb adjustments several times, tried relocating the
fuel line behind the engine, and an electric fuel pump.  The problem was
still there in warm weather.  It seems the fuel boils out of the bowls and
will not restart.  My conclusion is that the engine is tight and generates
more heat than it should.  It never shows any signs of overheating while
running, although it did fade out a couple of times while idling in hot
weather.  This year I am determined to fix the problem.  My 2 options are
heat shields and an engine oil cooler.  My question is:  Has anyone had
success in eliminating vapor lock by installing an oil cooler.  I don't want
to do this if it won't help.

TIA

Jay Snavely
1974 TR6