Re: Last minute advice for tuning Spitfire Stromberg

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Last minute advice for tuning Spitfire Stromberg
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:39:28 -0000
Hi Brian
The first thing to try is the idle setting, it may be that the fast idle is
all that is keeping it running, is the idle screw in contact with the
throttle linkage, try winding it in a turn or two to lift the revs, put the
choke in then drop the idle to a reasonable level if it still won't run go
to the next step.
Try dropping the jet / raising the needle (depending on which bit adjusts on
your carb) a couple of flats, the specs you have set the needle to are not
really specs, they are preliminary settings aimed at being near enough to
get the car running, once running fine tuning will be required, if it will
only run on choke once it is hot it is too lean, if it will start without
choke it is too rich.

Hope this helps.
Graham.