Supercharger for TR3-6 ???

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Judson mail list" <judson@autox.team.net>
Subject: Supercharger for TR3-6 ???
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:39:46 -0800
Cc: "Kelvin Dodd" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Kelvin Dodd of Moss Motors came to speak at our local Triumph club a few
days ago ... one of the things he mentioned was that Moss is considering
offering supercharger kits for the TR4 and TR6 (as well as other cars).
These kits will not be cheap, but they will be complete, bolt-on kits
including a brand new supercharger (most likely an Eaton), all necessary
parts, and detailed step-by-step instructions intended for the average DIY.

I've installed one of their kits on a friend's Mazda Miata/MX5, and while I
won't say it was dead easy, it was pretty simple and went on in a short
afternoon.  My friend absolutely loves it.  It did lower his overall gas
mileage somewhat, but then he is a leadfoot and you've got to burn something
to get that extra power !  Had a few teething problems, but a few calls to
Moss quickly got things sorted out and the new parts are holding up much
better.  He's got perhaps 40,000 miles on it now with no other problems.

Kelvin didn't have any details, but my personal guess is that we're talking
roughly 6 psi of boost, which should translate to an increase in power at
the wheels of roughly 30-35% across the entire rpm band.  Might be possible
to run a little more boost on late TR6 with their lower compression ... the
Miata kit can be built to either 6 psi or 8 psi with the higher boost buying
another 15% or so on power but requiring some other changes to the engine
like modifying the distributor (and losing the smog exemption).

If you think you would be interested in buying one of the TR kits, at a
price of $3000 to $4000, please email Kelvin at doddk@mossmotors.com .  Let
me emphasize, they are only _considering_ offering these kits, this message
is only to judge how much interest there would be if they do decide to offer
them.

I have no financial interest in this, just thought some list members might
like to know of this unique opportunity to influence one of our vendors'
decision to possibly offer something new for our cars.

Randall