Re: Spitfire Hard Top, further questions!

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hard Top, further questions!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:46:39 -0000
Hi John
My Spit is 1980 build First reg 1981
Thanks for the info, the 1/16 inch is about what I remembered, I would have
to remove my spacers to achieve that sort of fit, my spacers stand out of
the screen frame a long way, as far as I can make out I have everything in
line,the spacers right down in the hole and if I try to tighten any more
there are three possible outcomes!
1 Snapped bolt
2 Stripped thread
3 Collapsible spacer
I was missing one spacer and the new one I bought (repro I think) was
fractionally longer than the original (by which I mean the one we got with
the car!).
I met someone locally and he said he does not use the spacers, "what
Spacers?" His top is tight down and water tight.
Any down side to not using the spacers, my worry is the bolts marking the
roof skin from the inside, I guess I need to lift the roof off and spin the
bolt in and see how far it goes before it bottoms and then make sure it is
not going to go in that far when in place!

Graham.