Re: Clutch Options for 1296 Spit-Problems

To: TR250Driver@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Options for 1296 Spit-Problems
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:58:46 -0800 FILETIME=[045A6500:01C40A9E]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Russel,

Why are you running an aluminum flywheei and Tilton clutch on a street car?
Is it a multi-plate type? It sounds like it might be a mis-application of
technology here. I'd use a lightened stock flywheel and standard type clutch
for a street car rather than the Tilton setup. When I crewed on a GT 6 (SCCA
GT3 #23 SFR) we experimented with Tilton stuff a little. Unless you're
willing to work on it every few times you drive it you might be better off
sticking to a standard type system. Your local friction shop (look for the
guy who does brakes and clutches for forklifts and heavy duty trucks) can
rebuild pressure plates and rivet different linings on to standard type
clutch disks. The racing stuff looks cool in the catalog and works well if
you have it set-up right, but it's intended for hours of use, not
months/years like street components.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald