RE: Vinyl (and other) cleaning

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vinyl (and other) cleaning
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:15:08 -0800
> Ingredients:  Contains biodegradable alkaline cleaning agents and
> solvents.

That means it's basically lye and water like most oven cleaners ... not the
sort of thing I'd care to use on wire wheels where it may run into crevices
between the spokes and wheel and remain there for a long time.  Probably
also not the best thing for road dirt either ... lye works very well for
baked-on fat like around stoves and barbecues (it turns the fat into soap),
but isn't particularly effective on petroleum products.

Lye will, however, damage most automotive paint ... it's actually a fairly
effective paint remover ... another reason not to use it around my car !

Randall