RE: Heater controls working, map light works -- more questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Heater controls working, map light works -- more questions
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:54:34 -0700
> I was reading that SAE90 is the oil used in the transmission and various
> other parts -- can I purchase any type of SAE 90?

Should be at least GL-4 rated.  Big controversy about GL-5 (which is more
common), probably safest to find some GL-4.  My local discount store carries
it sometimes.

Personally, I like full synthetics.  For gear oil, I use Valvoline synthetic
75W90. It is rated GL-5, but because the base stock has a higher film
strength, it doesn't have as much of the additive that causes concerns over
GL-5 as conventional GL-5 oils do.

> Is there an oil people recommend?  My Haynes book suggests SAE
> 20W/50 and I
> was going to pick up a jug of Castrol GTX or something in that viscosity.

I had a bad experience with Castrol GTX many years ago ... won't buy it
anymore.  I use Valvoline Synpower (full synthetic) 20W50 in all my
Triumphs.  Sure it costs more, but it doesn't have to extend the life of the
engine much to pay for itself over time (and I also tend to push oil change
intervals a bit).

> Next question -- I think that the water pump may be going.
> Appears to have
> a small drip on the underside of it near the pipe union at the rear.  Drip
> only happens when the engine is running.

As long as you're sure it's not the union leaking ... most likely the seal
is starting to go.

Randall - (not a Spit owner but that's never stopped me before :)