Torking the Trunnion Bolt

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Torking the Trunnion Bolt
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:11:20 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i3DCETwY020758
Message text written by "Hugh Fader"
>While I wallow in misery over repairing my trailing arm mounts, I've
continued rebuilding the front suspension. I ran into a little problem. I
torqued the bolt going through the lower wishbones and trunnion to 60 ft-lb
as specified. Now it is a bit stiff to move and the castle nut is threaded
beyond where the cotter pin will engage it. I'm pretty sure I have all the
seals and washers and bushings in place correctly on the trunnion. I
suppose
I could put on a couple more washers so that the cotter pin is securing the
nut, but this just doesn't seem right. The replacement bolt is the same
length as the old one with the cotter pin hole in ths same place. So in
summary, it's tight and insecure. Anybody had this experience and a
solution?
<

I haven't run across this but it sounds like perhaps one of the sleeves is
too short.  Stiff is normal for a fresh rebush but how stiff is it?  Does
it get significantly stiffer as you torque down?  If so then something is
wrong.

Dave