95% (or more) of all fuel problems are ignition!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 95% (or more) of all fuel problems are ignition!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@wight365.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:23:55 +0100
Hi All
With this firmly in mind I set to trying to sort out our Dolomite Sprint,
about 2 years ago! It would sometimes take off when you hit the gas, and
sometimes it would just sputter, well I sorted the problem with new plugs
only to have it come back again soon after. Quote "I have never known a car
get through plugs like this one!"
The other day it nearly caused a crash as I went to over take and nothing
happened, had to pull back in, bear in mind this is the sort of car you pull
out then hit the gas or you will end up in the boot of  the car you are over
taking.
Well when enough is enough I get to loking around for reasons, tried full
choke when it happened and here was no difference I was expecting it would
either make the problem worse or better!
Had a thought to try out my little used lo gauge in the fuel line, 1 1/2 psi
I thugh to myself these pumps should make 5 psi. I ordered a new pump and
fitted it 7 psi and a then all the fuel lines became damp, couldn't deal
with the increase in pressure!
Well anyway we now have a car that absolutely goes whoooosh when you hit the
gas, no sputtering nothing but raw power. This car has been down on power
since I fitted the engine and used the original pump!
So the lesson is don't forget the 5% of fuel problems that really are fuel
related!
I hope this helps someone one day.
Tuppence worth?

Graham.