Re: cooling fans

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling fans
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:57:18 -0400
> Okay, I plead total ignorance on this issue.  Why and the where fore for
> cooling fans.
>
> Tim I. Purdy
> Susanville, CA

Tim, the TR tractor motors have a history among some of overheating,
especially when idling in traffic.  The 4 blade fan has been deemed to be
one of the culprits, not moving enough air through the radiator to lower the
temperature of the water...again at idle.  There are five solutions of
various states of favor:

1)  replace the 4 blade fan with a yellow TR 250 fan turned backwards to
increase airflow.
2)  place an electric fan in front of or behind the radiator tied either to
a temperature sensing switch or a manual switch, in place of or in addition
to the 4 blade fan.
3)  replace the stock water pump with one of Ken Gilander's (British Frame
and Engine)--NFI--and perhaps others, which has impeller blades modified
with a hook to increase water flow.
4)  install an oil cooling system.
5)  take the radiator to a shop for cooking, cleaning, and maybe re-rowing
to get rid of the hole for the manual crank and maybe add a row.

I'll leave it to others on the list to offer up the merits of each.  For
myself, I've elected the yellow fan and modified water pump.  If I still
have a problem, I have a used electric fan to slip in.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A (Body off the frame and in pieces, but the new exhaust system and
generator system go on the freshly reinstalled new engine today!)