Re: TR3A tranny oil

To: "John A. Wise" <Wise@erau.edu>
Subject: Re: TR3A tranny oil
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 18:59:52 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John you've opened a can of worms here. There will be as many opinions as
transmissions. I have heard that using any oil with a friction modifier with
an overdrive is not a good idea. It has something to do with the clutches in
the OD and causing them to slip. The Factory Repair Manual says to use a 90
weight gear lube. Folks further say to only use a GL 4 and not the GL 5 as
the 5 will corrode the brass parts in the transmission. I use 70 weight
Motorcycle oil. It's my preference and has worked fine for me.
If you send me a fax number I'll fax the sheet from the manual to you.
Jerry Van Vlack