RE: TR4 Distributor - Lead From Contact Plate...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Distributor - Lead From Contact Plate...
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:03:01 -0700
> There is some kind of fastener through it that looks like it's
> holding it to the plate... but not quite a screw, though it does have two
> grooves in a cross pattern on it's top (I tried to turn it with a
> flat head
> screwdriver, but there really wasn't enough of a groove).
>
> So... first of all, does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain? :)

I believe so ... what you're looking at is the point plate ground wire.
That is a rivet that holds it to the point plate, the cross pattern is left
over from the press that was used to set the rivet at the factory.  And
you're quite right, it wasn't treated as a separately serviced part by
Triumph.  Don't recall offhand whether Lucas sold it separately or not.

> And secondly, is this thing supposed to even come off?  And if so how?

I believe you'll have to cut or grind the rivet to get it off.  If you use a
"Pop rivet" to attach the new one, be sure to drive or grind out the little
steel ball in the end of the rivet, so it can't work loose and find it's way
inside your engine.

BTW, the other end of the ground wire goes under one of the screws that
holds the point plate assy to the distributor.  The ground wire in effect
makes sure there is a good connection from the fixed portion of the plate to
the movable (by the vacuum advance) portion.  Also check the clearance under
the end of the rivet, to be sure it can't foul anything.  Don't recall for
sure offhand, but I think it could drag on the fixed portion.  Might be
better to install it "upside down", with the head between the plates and the
upset end pointing up.

Randall