RE: starter motors

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter motors
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:40:23 +1200 i477fBpq013673
I had no concern about originality when fitting a gear reduction starter to
my 2500S - this car is a daily driver, and reliability is paramount. With
the starter being buried below the exhaust and induction system, it is not
immediately noticeable, besides which, other little things have been done
over the years, so the car was not original anyway.

The starter motor was a joy to fit, and cheap at $NZ300. The componentry was
brand new, whereas reconditioning the old starter motor (for not much less)
would still have left old parts. I did have an issue with the circuit that
bypasses the resistor wire during starting, but this was soon resolved with
a good sized diode.

When the Stag is due for a new starter, I will be performing the same
modification.

David Greed

74 Stag Man O/D
79 2500S Man O/D