RE: TR3A Week 2--"Now Starter"

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Week 2--"Now Starter"
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:30:56 -0700
> >Comm # is TS 54487, so would seem to need the newer one BUT,
> > the starter that came off is the old type... guessing either
> the engine is
> > older than the chassis, or the old starter was the wrong one?
>
> Just a note, my comm is 58667, and my original starter was a bullet nose
> too.

Curious ... I always thought the 50K cross-over was gospel.  Do these cars
have the later transmission housing ?  What about the transmission dipstick
?  Trans tunnel ?

It's perhaps worth commenting that the early starter setup will fit the
later TRactor motors ... ideally the flywheel should match the starter of
course but I've seen more than one mismatch that seemed to work OK.

Someone else made a comment about counting flywheel teeth ... when I attempt
something like this, I like to go around first with something like a black
"Magic Marker" or other waterproof marking pencil and mark each 10th tooth
(or better yet, each 10th valley).  Then it becomes much easier to go back
and count all the blackened teeth, plus the short count between the first
and last tooth marked.

Randall