Re: Baby in a TR

To: d_hammond@charter.net
Subject: Re: Baby in a TR
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:39:52 -0700 FILETIME=[E5301E70:01C43858]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Has anyone come up with an acceptable and verified safe way to transport a
>baby in it's car seat in a TR, specifically a TR 4 or 250?

Hi David,

There was a guy on the west coast who used to have a baby seat in his TR-3,
and I've put one in my Herald though not the TR-4. I'm 6'3" so I don't have
enough room for a larger car seat. Now that the kid is 6 I don't have to
worry about it.

The main thing will be secure mounting. Get some of those high strength eye
bolts and some monster fender washers for both sides (you might even want to
make up reinforcing plates). Put the eye bolts about 2 feet apart centered
at the rear of the parcel shelf and attach a regular lap belt. This will
hold the seat just like in the back of any other car.

The biggest problem I've run into is that Triumphs are a bit noisy, bumpy
and smelly compared to modern cars. It can be tough getting my wife or
daughter to ride with me for any distance. If you can train your kid early
it should be easier to take her/him with you on trips in the TR. Earplugs
should help quite a bit.

Of course you could always explain to your wife the alternative of buying a
car hauler and a crew-cab pickup to go to shows....

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4