RE: Rat Roadsters .

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rat Roadsters .
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:02:48 -0700
> Lee Jansen http://www.cs.du.edu/~ljanssen/  did this as well
> using the Herman van dan Akkers conversion kit - but I can't find
> any info on either.
>
> Details please!

What kind of details do you want ?  I know Herman personally, as well as
several people who have the conversion installed on their cars ... so far,
everyone seems uniformly pleased with it except Herman, who always seems to
have some tiny improvement to make.

Last I heard, it involves no permanent mods to the car at all on most cars
(don't recall now if Herman said he'd resolved the problem of having to
reroute some aftermarket exhausts or not).  He's designed a housing that
takes the original TR shift lever, in the original location, so it looks
exactly right.  And he now supplies a custom tailpiece, so the driveshaft no
longer has to be modified.

http://www.blindmoosefab.com/hvda.htm

Personally, I like my Laycock overdrive(s) ... I'm not the least bit
tempted.  But, if your car lacks an overdrive and you like to drive it,
Herman's conversion is an economical, reliable, practical alternative to
locating an original Triumph overdrive transmission (typically $800-$1000 in
fair condition) and then having it rebuilt (another $1000 if nothing is
seriously wrong) and then still having a 30-40 year old transmission.  No
worries about bogus synchro rings, either.

Randall