Hot restart problem

To: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: Hot restart problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:38:43 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i4EBehvL006270
Message text written by "jay snavely"
>I am still looking for the cause of my hot restart problem on my TR6, but
am
getting closer.  After a 10-15 minute period, the car will not restart.  I
can
tell it is going to happen because the electric fuel pump will not start up
when the switch is turned, as it normally will do.  But by disconnecting
the
large hoses from the carbon canister to the carbs, the fuel pump will run
and
the car will start right up.  Now the question is WHY?  Often I hear the
solenoid opening after the car shuts off.  If this valve would stick shut,
would this anti-run on feature also prevent the car from starting?  What
else
should I check?  I did check that these hoses are all open, and air can in
fact, flow thru. And they all are connected properly.
<

Jay, I assume that you have the anti-run-on system.  If so then there is a
little valve on each carburettor that will switch the bowl float from the
hose to the charcoal canister to a poer on the inlet face of the
carubuettor. When the throttle is opened the vent will change from the hose
to the port.  (I suspect that this is to account for pressure drop across
the air filter).  If, indeed, you problem is the charcoal canister building
up pressure and preventing fuel flow into the float chambers then opening
the throttle will switch the vent to the port and the pressure will be
relieved and the fuel will now fill the float chamber.

It is a quick, easy test.  Give it  a try.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (with a retrofitted anti-run-on system fitted)